Activating Manual Payroll in QuickBooks® 2018
Due to an update from Intuit, QuickBooks users on version R8 and later will need to follow the instructions below to activate the manual payroll feature as discussed in Chapter 8 of Computerized Accounting with QuickBooks® 2018. To begin, make sure the computer is not connected to the internet or is offline.
To set up manual payroll in QuickBooks Desktop R8 and later:
- Make sure that your preferences are set up for payroll.
a. At the Edit menu, select Preferences.
b. In the left pane, choose Payroll & Employees and then go to the Company Preferences tab.
c. In the QuickBooks Desktop Payroll Features section, select the Full Payroll radio button.
d. Click OK.
- From the Help menu, choose QuickBooks Help (or press F1 on your keyboard).
- In the search field, type manual payroll and then press the Enter key.
- Select the topic Calculate payroll manually (without a subscription to QuickBooks Payroll).
- Under the section Set your company file to use the manual payroll calculations setting, click the manual payroll calculations link.
- Click the Set my company file to use manual calculations link.
Note: When your company file is set up for manual payroll computation, QuickBooks inserts a zero amount for each payroll item associated with a tax.
- Close and reopen QuickBooks Desktop.
If at some point you receive a message that says This Page Cannot be Found, proceed with the following steps.
- Close QuickBooks and then open the Windows File Explorer.
- Go to C:\Program data/Intuit/QuickBooks20XX.
Note: The Program data file is usually hidden. If you can’t find it, click the View tab and select Hidden Items.
- Find the QBW file you want to work in and then open it by double-clicking the file.
- Scroll down to the bottom and add this entry:
Enabled=0Make sure to follow the exact format.
- Close the file.
- Launch QuickBooks and enable manual payroll.